· The DCAFP in partnership with the Georgetown University School of Medicine and Howard University College of Medicine is pleased to provide a 6 week summer externship to the following students from each of the medical schools in the District of Columbia. Each student will receive a $650 stipend. Congratulations to the following recipients:
· ATSU-SOMA – Unity Health Care: Carolyn Parks
· Georgetown University: Mary Warren
· Howard University – Alyssa Peace
· The DCAFP awarded $700 scholarships to one student and one resident from each of the medical schools in the District of Columbia to attend the AAFP National Conference for Residents and Students. Congratulations to the following recipients:
· Amy O'Sadnick and Annie Savarese, MD, PGY-3, Georgetown University
· Jessica Hallerman, George Washington University
· Alice Asame and Onaopemipo Ajiboye, MD, PGY-2, Howard University
· Seth Alkire received at $500 scholarship from the Georgetown University Department of Family to attend the AAFP National Conference.
· Congratulations Dr. Christina Gillespie, Assistant Professor and Assistant Director, Residency Program, Georgetown University Department of Family Medicine received a scholarship from the DCAFP to attend the AAFP Family Medicine Congressional Conference.
· Shaniqua Nisbett, medical student at Howard University received a $500 scholarship from the DCAFP to attend the STFM Regional Conference held in Baltimore, Maryland.
National Positions and Awards
· Paul Jarris, MD, MBA, received the 2014 AAFP Public Health Award. This award was created to recognize "individuals who have made or are making extraordinary contributions to the American public's health," and it will be presented at the 2014 AAFP Congress of Delegates in Washington, D.C. this October.
· Seth Rosenblatt, Georgetown University School of Medicine was appointed to serve as AAFP FMIG Regional Coordinator.
· Alice Esame, Howard University College of Medicine was appointed AAFP Liaison to the Student National Medical Association.
· Annie Savarese, PGY-III Georgetown University Family Medicine Program, Providence Hospital was awarded AAFP Bristol-Myers Squibb Awards for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education.
· Drs. Michelle Roett and Patricia Evans, Georgetown University received the 2013 Pfizer Immunization Award in the category of System Implementation to improve Adult Immunizations.
· Drs. Anuj Bhatnagar, Krishnan Narasimhan, and Babafemi Adenuga, Howard University received the 2013 Pfizer Immunization Award in the category of System Implementation to improve Adult Immunizations.
· Dr. Ranit Mishori won First Prize, USAID-Humanity United Tech Challenge for Atrocity Prevention competition. Member of Physician for Human Rights team that conceived of and designed a mobile forensic application, MediCapt.
· Dr. Babafemi Adenuga, Interim Chair and Professor of Medicine, Department of Community and Family Medicine, Howard University College of Medicine was named Washington Post Super Doctors.
Welcome New District Medical Programs
July 2013, Unity Health Care, Inc. established a ground breaking medical training program for future physicians, in Washington, D.C. In partnership with A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA), (Mesa, AZ), and the Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education (Scranton, PA), Unity is training ten (10) medical students and six (6) residents within their network of Community Health Centers (CHC). Providence Hospital and other local hospitals will provide opportunities for in-patient experience for students and residents.